Looking for a way to impress your family and friends but just don't have the time? Here are two meals that can be prepared and cooked all withing 30 mins or less.
Entertaining should be fun, fast, and easy. I recently held a spur of the moment dinner party for my friend Tracey. It was her birthday and I wanted to show her how much I love and appreciate her friendship throughout the past twenty years, so what better way to do so other than to put together a small dinner party. The problem was, I didn't have much time! I had woke up with this great idea and had to put it in motion that very day- her birthday. Hummm something quick and easy, yet elegant and gourmet... I got it! Seared salmon over linguine with summer squash tossed in a butter and wine sauce. Here it goes...
FYI... when you see directions in parenthesis, that means forget the technical jargon, this is in "girlfriend" terms, or "honey chile' you need to do this..."
Preheat oven to 500 degrees or set on broil
Top fish with 2 tsp of butter or olive oil and 1 tbsp of fresh squeezed lemon juice
Season 1lb or salmon with:
1 tsp of kosher salt
1tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp of onion powder
1/2 tsp of garlic powder
2 tsp of dill
Broil fish for 10 mins or until flaky
In a pasta pot bring two quarts of water to a rolling boil. (in a medium pot fill half way and bring to a rapid boil) Add kosher salt, the water should taste like the ocean.... I know it's hot, pleasure is pain. Add a drop of oil to prevent sticking and then add a handful of linguine. Allow to boil for 7 mins or al'dente. (Boil until soft but not mushy)
Slice 1 green zucchini and 1 yellow squash
Slice in half two hand fulls of grape tomatoes
Slice or chop 2 cloves of fresh garlic
In a sauce pan with olive oil, saute' the above ingredients for 5 mins. (Cook on med low for 5 mins) Do not burn the garlic, the worst thing you can do is burn the garlic! Once the veggies are tender add one bag of baby spinach and toss. (Mix all ingredients together) Once the spinach has wilted, add 2 table spoons of butter and 1 & 1/2 cup of white wine. Toss in linguine until sauce is well mingled. Top the linguine with the salmon and garnish with chopped flat leaf parsley.
The salmon can be replaced by scallops, crab, lobster, or any desired seafood. My cousin Crystal decided to pay me an afternoon visit. Crystal doesn't consume beef or poultry, and I wanted to prepare a quick and easy lunch. I had recently prepared the salmon dish and wanted something different, what better and easier to prepare other than shrimp. It's an all time favorite. The variation to this dish is pan seared shrimp over linguine with asparagus, and summer squash with a butter and wine sauce. Same concept, similar ingredients. The variation is, adding the asparagus and pan searing the shrimp. (The only difference is I added asparagus and cooked the shrimp in a pan instead of the oven)
For the asparagus you will need to cut 2 inches from the tip then cut again but in half then add to boiling salted water until it turns bright green, 1-2 mins top. Take out and set aside. Follow the same directions as above for the veggie portion. For the shrimp: Add a drizzle of olive oil to a sauce pan and add seasoned shrimp, cook until shrimp turn pink. Remove shrimp from pan, make butter and wine sauce then toss all ingredients into a decorative bowl. Garnish with flat leaf parsley.
Follow these simple directions and you are sure to WOW your family and friends. Rachael Ray don't have nothin' on you!


No comments:
Post a Comment